Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe



I am a fan of dirty jobs. Discovery Channel exposes some of America's grosses jobs~those in which I never thought existed- and most of them I wish I didn't.

At the end of each show, Mike pleads with America to send them dirty jobs for them to participate in...well, I have a job!
Mom of a sick child!

The job of a mom is tough! I didn't really know how tough until I had applied for and got the job. Being a mom to a baby is a tough job-and sometimes- well most times...dirty. You have all the diaper changing, spit up, and all the gross bodily fluids that come from babies. I never really thought it was too gross...I mean a baby doesn't really know any better and they are so small and cute, it makes up for it, right?

Then real life hits...you have all the "grown-up" duties: cleaning the kitchen/cooking the lunch and dinner/mowing the yard/emptying the garbage/doing grocery shopping/teaching school/paying bills/pumping gas/reading my Bible/blogging! As a mom, I have added: wiping up spills/putting on band aids/doing the hair/finding a dress to wear everyday/cleaning up her room/making macaroni and cheese/swimming/going to the park...and then she gets sick!

Personally, I think taking care of a sick (almost) 4 year old- is a little dirtier/grosser than a sweet little infant. Any sick child is a dirty job. PERIOD! The throwing up/changing sheets/diarrhea in the panties/lots of laundry/added to what I already do makes for a tired mama (and papa!).

Last night, out sweet one came into our room-probably about 2-3a.m. She eventually said her tummy hurt and threw up and messed in her pants. She was devastated, crying and very upset. We washed her precious sleeping dress and panties and she fell asleep with daddy. He eventually maneuvered back to bed, but just a few minutes later, we changed panties again...this happened several more times throughout the night. I thought she would sleep all morning, but she was up at 8:15! That didn't last too long...she is now asleep again. I am not sure what is wrong...sick kiddos worry me. It is a dirty job that I will do-until done- and then pray fervently that it doesn't happen again for a while.

But...next time, I might invite Mike Rowe to come experience the dirty job of a MOM!

2 comments:

Amy said...

No fun! I'll be praying that she gets to feeling better. My advice: fluids, fluids, fluids! Hang in there.

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

Sign me up...and pray that I make it through it! :) Thanks for the share!