I have been pondering the idea of rest. Having a toddler that doesn't always take a nap got me to thinking about rest and the need for it. During the summer, I can get into a pattern of taking a nap. This is sometimes a habit hard to break as August rolls around. I got to thinking the other day during "quiet time" about how different scripture would be if God took naps too. God did rest. After the task of creating the whole universe, he rested. I am sure I would have made the same decision. But God didn't take a nap, he just rested from creating new things.
It has been said to me many times that God is omnipotent and ever present. He goes before us and walks behind us in all circumstances...and that is for the whole world of believers. Quite exhausting, if I do say so myself... But not for our God.
Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary. (Isaiah 40:28).
My human mind starting thinking...what if God rested? had narcolepsy...how would that impact my world, the world of my friends, the people in Biblical times?
How about if God got tired and needed to rest during the parting of the Red sea? Exodus 13:17 to 15:21 What would have happened to Moses and his people...would they have made it to the promise land, or would they have faced the same fate as Pharaoh's army?
What about David? Would he have defeated Goliath with the slingshot if God was relaxing at the spa?
Would Daniel have become lion food? What about the fate of Jonah, Lazarus or any other miracles performed by Jesus. It seems to me the whole Bible would have a different storyline, if our God rested!
The truth is...O Lord, you have searched me and you know me, You know when I sit and when I riseYou discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways (Ps. 139:1-2a & 3).
You perceive my thoughts from afar (Ps. 139:2b).
Even when we do not "feel" his presence (because of sin, suffering, dejection, depression, grief and so on) He is still there. Sometimes, in some circumstances, God feels invisible. He feels like he might be out of touch, or at rest, but Our God doesn't need rest. He is still with us. What a comforting thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment