Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Medicaltreatmentphobic or Claustrophobic?
So the next step in the shoulder/neck pain saga is an MRI... which I had this afternoon. I don't have the results or anything yet, but let me just say... I am SO glad that is done. I am not really "into" the hospital scene. My blood pressure raises and my pulse quickens... it is sometimes followed by a short loss of consciousness.(Even when just visiting those in the hospital) Today was no different. "It" starts several hours before some medical appointment. The thought of what may be is frightening. There is probably some psychological issue going on(medicaltreatmentphobia), but I have no official diagnosis! I get myself worked up into a sweat, sick stomach, the works! As I signed papers that mentioned the use of an IV, I became terrified. Thankfully, no needles were used in today's torture. However, I felt like I was stuffed in a comet can. You don't really see what they are doing to you, so the imagination takes off. First headphones are placed on your ears, then a cloth covers your eyes. Next, some metal contraptions are placed over you head to your chest and then over your head to "lock" you into place. I had several scans of my spine, which sounded as if I were inside a printer on the fritz. The first two were easy- 1 minute of no moving (I could breath) and then they got longer. By the 3rd scan (3 minutes long) I was started to get a little overwhelmed, feeling a sense of urgency to get out of there. I just focused on the music and prayed... it helped, I was calm enough I thought I might fall asleep. That didn't happen, but the rest of the time went quick and without serious freakout. I was thinking about the Cyber-knife and floating tumor treatments offered for serious conditions like cancer- I would have to find some superhuman strength to that again (without sedation). I am not so sure that it is claustrophobia but I am thinking we need to add medicaltreatmentphobia to the DSM-IV.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I do not blame you one bit, I am right there with you. I hate all things medical! I hope everything turns out good for you and maybe they could find something and then fix it so you wouldn't be in pain.
Glad you got through!
Also glad you made it through. I'm lucky where I'm not to phobic of hospitals for my own treatment but visiting others gets to me. My Mom is nutty like that too. We had to wheel her out of the hospital when she was my support person when Austin had his MRI this summer. Aye Carumba. Hope you get healed up soon.
Post a Comment