Saturday, August 9, 2008

The best laid plan...

CHANGE! I mapped out a 7 mile course for a ride today. I figured it would take me about 45-50 minutes to ride. It was pretty nice weather- 80's small wind. I was a little worried about the last 1/2 of the ride since the wind was blowing from the north. My return to home was a 1.5 miles into the wind. So... I thought "it will make me stronger" I set out... waited at the big intersection about 3 minutes for the police to push a car through the intersection and stopped another minute for the stupid phone. With the stops, I was at 13 minutes for 1.5-- that is when I got worried about the wind. But, I sped up and made up some time as the wind changed. The clouds also started to roll in. I got to 3.5 and felt some rain drops, went to make the turn to jog over to the road by my house... IT WAS DIRT!! AHHH! That wasn't going to work. I stopped and the spotted lightening and MORE rain. So... I called in for support. I like to walk in the rain, but riding INTO the wind, rain and lightening... didn't really sound like fun on a Saturday. So, I called Michael (woke him up out of a nap) and he came and bailed me out. I got another mile+ in before he got to me. Then we went to pick up Evy from my parents. I felt a little defeated that I didn't get to finish...but, as we drove back toward the house, it was wetter. I think that it is better to be a safe mom... than finish a 7 miler. I did get in 4.65 miles.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Can't disagree, you did the right thing. Good job on getting in what you could!