Saturday, July 12, 2008

Decided to Tri

After reading an inspiring blog for a few days, I have decided that I am going to try a Triathalon. I started training for a marathon last year then got pregnant and quit. I am not a great runner, so if I do a race that doesn't focus on a race it will better for me. I decided for sure this last week and found a great training log to begin this process. My plan was to swim a few laps in a friends pool (which I suck at) and then do a ride. It began to rain after we got home, so I maynot get that in today, but will for sure in the morning.


Day
Week 1 Goals: Begin baseline workout. Get through the first week feeling rejuvenated and enthusiastic.
1 Lift: Legs (include abductors and adductors)*, Back and Abdominals. 2 sets of 10 to 12 repetitions for 2 exercises each body part.Bike: 20 to 25 minutes indoors. Use an Upright Bike as opposed to a Recumbent Bike**. Work on keeping feet flexed (like scraping gum off the bottom of your shoes) and upper body relaxed. Keep your resistance light to moderate. Just trying to create some endurance in this first mode. 5 minute cool down!Stretch: 10 to 15 minutes of FULL BODY stretching! Stretching reduces DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).

2 Lift: Shoulders, Chest, Abdominals. 2 sets of 10 to 12 repetitions for 2 exercises each body part.Bike: 30 to 35 minutes indoors. Stick with Upright Bike (you burn more calories on an Upright Bike as the position forces you to work against gravity). Use a program and add hills in this routine. Time to start getting used to using those vital leg muscles. 5 minute cool down.Stretch: 10 to 15 minutes of FULL BODY stretching.

3 Lift: Biceps, Triceps, Abdominals. 2 sets of 10 to 12 repetitions for 2 exercises each body part.Bike: Longer ride 40 to 50 minutes. Incorporate hills and endurance with this workout. There will be one longer ride each week; this is the first for the month. Try to put the resistance higher for a minute here and there (no more than 4 times) and come out of the saddle. Working on leg power and relaxed upper body. No bouncing or rocking. 5 minute cool down.Stretch: 15 to 20 minutes of FULL BODY stretching. Aids in injury prevention as well.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and mentioning me in yours. I am so so so happy to have inspired you to do a triathlon. They are SO FUN!

But, ummm, taking a look at that first paragraph makes me think you need to read my most recent post. Because "I am not a great runner" and "I suck (at swimming)" are areas for improvement :)

I'll definitely be following along on your journey and can't wait to read your first race report!!