There is lots of things I remember about Grandma. She was a very independent woman as she lost her husband in her early 50s due to an accident. Of course I never met my great-grandpa, but I am sure he was a good man. She worked in factories and always wore polyester pant suits to church. She lived with or next door to her son and DIL after the accident. She ate well. None of this non-fat, low-carb junk. She ate bread and cookies. She baked cakes and made bacon and eggs for breakfast. For as long as I knew her only complaint was some arthritis and bunions-which she aided with 8 extra strength Tylenol each day. She lived 98 years in her own place. She liked to watch soaps and listen to Ray Stevens music and the Grand Old Opry. In the summers we would spend time at the farm and take walks down the road together- usually to get the mail. The smell of fresh woods takes me back to that place every time! She loved her dog Buttons and dressed a cement goose on her porch. She was afraid of falling and not being able to get herself up- so she devised a plan to scoot herself outside and use the goose to stable herself to be able swing her legs off the porch and stand up without help. This well thought out plan was going to be practiced, until we ratted her out. The only thing she didn't account for was how to get the front door open while she was laying on the ground... I have many treasured trikets from her that remind me of our days together. I am so thankful she was able to see me get married and follow my first pregnancy. Oh, how I wish she were here to share in the joy of Madelyn and Jackson too!
Happy 103rd Birthday Lillian Ann Mantle.
3 comments:
You forgot to mention that she was 6 feet tall....well before she shrunk a little with age!
Hi
i was just reading your blog and my sister who is 12 weeks pregnant has just found out she has Edwards Syndrome and she is very upset at the thought of losing her second child her first baby was also and IVF baby and he will be 2 in June. Id love to be in contact and learn any information i can to help my sister at this time, she has a wonderful husband and a beautiful son, but at the moment it is a big decision as to what to do for this pregnancy.
I live in Australia and even though the miles seperate us it would be nice to hear your thoughts and what so far has happened with your friends baby!
I look forward to hearing from you!
Regards
Jude
Wow…103 years and 103 days….how crazy is that! Love you…Chrissy.
Post a Comment