Saturday, April 4, 2009

Yard work and such

After the bbq last night and the great fun Evy had playing outside, I decided that I would clean out our back yard. I thought of this for two reasons. 1. So we can invite friends over without embarrassment. 2. So Evy can play outside more. She has several toys (house, cars, swing set) that she can play on, but I can't always be right there. So...I am childproofing the yard, so she can play with limited supervision.

Truthfully, I am a little afraid of the concept. Plus it means she is stinkin' growing up...to be able to be alone outside! Next, comes school... ugh! But, for now she can enjoy the great outdoors while I fold laundry or other things.

I started this morning about 8 AM cleaning all the leaves and junk including trash that has blown in since winter began. We loaded up a truck full of stuff to haul away. I still have some wood to move and the grass to mow tomorrow, but it looks better. I imagine I will be quite sore as I already can feel some achy muscles. The moving wood may be delayed.

In the very back of the yard, by the creek, I have an old swimming pool. It is heavy and we didn't haul it off last year. We planned to us it in our gardening, but it was forgotten. I had planning to drag it to the truck. I began trying to dump out the water and leaves that were in the folds and found a SNAKE! I am not a "woodsy" kind of girl. It was BIG- probably about 4 feet long and at the medial point at least 3-4 inches around. I knew no one would believe me, so I took pictures. Yes, that's right people, I didn't kill the snake, I got the camera! Does that mean I am becoming a photographer? Anyway, I snapped a few pics and then called for reinforcements. Michael and I successfully removed the snake from the yard, but not after thoroughly making it angry. It even hissed and tried to bite. It had such a small head...it couldn't have eaten my toe...but I am glad it is gone. Then my mom said....you didn't kill it?!? Truthfully, the thought never crossed my mind. I guess when he comes back I will do what Evy says and "cut his neck with a knife."




Evy had a blast digging in the new garden site even after the snake episode...and dumping out the dirt from her new dump truck. She was filthy by the time we were done. I imagine this trend with continue. I may be doing more daily laundry loads.

2 comments:

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

Sounds very productive! Good luck this week! Let me know how it goes!

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, that snake looks huge. I would've totally freaked out...I hate snakes! You are brave!