Friday, January 9, 2009

We read!!!

I am not one for bragging on myself. But the best thing happened yesterday and I just have to share. My job is very hard and I don't always see fruit from what I do daily. However, yesterday two of my students began to read. We have been working on flashcards for sight words daily since the beginning of the year. We practiced and I wanted to know if they had memorized the words or could read them. So, I wrote them on the board in a sentence form...and they could read it!!!! I was so excited-I teared up a little. You have to realize #1 My previous 6 years of teaching have been older kids-junior high kiddos or 4th graders...so I didn't have the opportunity to teach reading.#2 Frankly, I was scared to death to teach younger grades because teaching reading is a complex strategy...and with kiddos with special needs, it is even more so. #3 It is sad to say, but I truly didn't think they were soaking it up

They are not ready to go on to more complex books because the phonics part isn't there...but oh my mercy am I excited!!! It gives me renewed hope!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

doesn't that make up for all of the bad days????

Anonymous said...

Awwwwe! How rewarding! Keep up the hard work!